Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday Meals: Cherry Cobbler

Last Monday Ryan came home with a big bag of fresh, handpicked cherries. His boss handed him a gallon Ziplock bag of super tasty cherries from his parent's property. I immediately started thinking about ways to incorporate them into our weekly menu.



So, I scoured the internet for a healthier cobbler recipe than the one I grew up knowing, Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa. As said in my best Southern (Read:Dolly Parton) voice:
"Oh hell, Clairee, you don’t need a recipe. It’s just a cup of flour, a cup of sugar and a cup of fruit cocktail WITH the syrup, stir and bake in a hot oven ‘til golden brown and bubbly. I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness."


I couldn't find a recipe that I loved so I took bits and pieces from several different recipes and came up with this:

As many cherries as you can stand to pit.
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups rolled oats (old fashioned)
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used two the first time around, I will probably cut it back to one in the future.)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/8 cup maple syrup

Step One: Pit the cherries. Since this was last minute and I've never had any reason to own a cherry pitter, this was a tedious task.
Step Two: Recruit a loved one to help with the pitting process.
Step Three: Have said loved one tell you that they are tired and taking a break. Resume pitting said cherries.



Step Four: Preheat oven to 375. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Including half of the blue million tiny cherries you have pitted (not pictured).



Step Five: Layer the other half of the cherries as a bed in your baking dish. Spoon the oatmeal mixture on top of the cherries. Bake for about 45 minutes. You'll smell it when it's ready!




Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!